Destiny 2 Season of the Lost - also known as Season 15 - is the third major update in the game's fourth year.
Unlike most new seasons, which are teased heavily before release, Season of the Lost will only be fully revealed an hour before its debut. That means a lot of what's to come is a mystery - but that's not to say we don't know a few things ahead of time.
As always, keep your eyes peeled for more Exotics and Legendary Gear, and of course, a battle pass with 100 tiers of rewards.
On this page:
Destiny 2 Season of the Lost release date and release time explained
The Destiny 2's Season of the Lost release date is Tuesday, August 24th at the following release time, which matches the usual weekly reset time:
- UK: 6pm (BST)
- Europe: 7pm (CEST)
- East Coast US: 1pm (EDT)
- West Coast US: 10am (PDT)
Downtime for the new Season will begin 1 hour and 15 minutes before the above times, with Update 3.3.0 - featuring Season of the Lost - expected to be live for all platforms and regions when the above rolls around.
Once you have downloaded the patch, you can start playing - but know based on previous seasons server issues are possible on the first day, so keep your expectations of how much you can play in the opening hours in check.
One hour before the above times will be a Witch Queen reveal stream - embedded below, which is unofficially the start of gamescom week - outlining what to expect from the game's next major season, as well as fully revealing what to expect from Season of the Lost.
There's a checklist of things to do before the new season arrives on August 24th, including:
- Claiming any seasonal titles you have earned
- Handing in Vanguard tokens with Zavala at the Tower, who will be changing his reward system with Season 15
- Visiting Shaxx and Drifter to claim Valor and Infamy rank rewards
- Claiming any Splicer Servitor engrams
- Redeeming any remaining season pass rewards on all classes
Until then - what can we expect from Season 15?
Destiny 2 Season of the Lost features known so far: What's new in Destiny 2 Season 15?
Destiny 2 Season of the Lost is the fourth season of content in the game's fourth year, following on from Season of the Splicer, which started back on May 11th.
Unlike previous seasons, the specifics of what to expect are largely underwraps. This is similar to Season of the Arrivals last year, which was only fully revealed alongside the Beyond Light expansion as part of a reveal stream.
The same is happening here - with The Witch Queen expansion and Season of the Lost being revealed at the same time during a stream (during gamescom week) in the hour leading up to the season's debut.
As with Season of the Arrivals, it's highly likely the events of the new season will lead heavily into The Witch Queen expansion.
Though Bungie is keeping most of what to expect under wraps until the stream, we do have some details of what to expect from Season 15:
- The return of Mara Sov, who was shown in a screenshot alongside Osiris as part of a teaser. Sov was involved heavily in Forsaken and the Dreaming City, and was briefly mentioned at the start of Beyond Light as the Darkness crept throughout the solar system. It's likely will she play a part in The Witch Queen's story - so having her involved in Season of the Lost makes sense.
- Destiny 2 crossplay will debut "early" in Season of the Lost. When exactly, we don't know, but know what whichever platform you log onto first when the season begins will be your 'Bungie' account name from crossplay purposes.
- The ritual quest weapon will be a rocket launcher with the Explosive Light perk. As with previous seasons, after unlocking there will be quests for Strike, Crucible and Gambit-themed ornaments.
- Other weapon additions including the tease of the following three following Strike, Crucible and Gambit completions...
- ...while the Prophecy Dungeon's loot pool will see Nine-themed weapons from Trials of the Nine return with random rolls.
This year's Festival of the Lost has arrived - which includes the Book of the Forgotten and Jurassic Green to unlock. Elsewhere in Season of the Lost, there are new Exotics such as the Ager's Scepter and the long-awaited arrival of crossplay. New activities include the Wayfinders Voyage, the Astral Alignment activity and finding Atlas Skew, Trivial Mystery, Enigmatic Mystery, Ascendant Mystery, Data Cache, Parallax Trajectory and Ascendant Anchor locations. Elsewhere, we've seen new Nightfall weapons such as the Uzume RR4, Plug One.1 and Hung Jury SR4. Other recent new features include transmog and materials Synthstrand, Synthcord and Synthweave, the Splicer Gauntlet and Decrypted Data used to upgrade it.
- Elsewhere in weapons, there will be the introduction of Legendary Stasis weapons in the Power and Kinect slots, primary ammo weapons will now have infinite ammo ("running out... has never been tactically interesting", according to Bungie) while there are nerfs and buffs across different Exotics and types - from a 30% damage reduction to bosses using Anarchy, to a 20% buff to machine gun damage in PvE.
- Bungie has also confirmed the following Champion mods:
- There will also be some new Iron Banner armour to earn.
- Finally, Bungie has confirmed BattlEye anti-cheat will be 'soft launched' during the Season.
So though we don't know the full roadmap, there's still plenty to look forward to!